Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hang me up a Matisse, Picasso or a Delaunay piece.

These past two days have been such an enriching experience. Guggenheim and MoMA galore.

I've seen so many artists in two days. Extended my knowledge in the earlier and later works of Picasso, Delaunay, Mondrian, Kandinsky, Matisse, Kupka...etc.

My most inspiring pieces: 

Kupka's 'Planes'

Picasso's "Violin"

Delaunay's "Paris"

Not much else, really. The pictures will depict everything else that we've been doing in New York City. Meeting up with a friend tomorrow at noon at Union Square Park. Who knows what we'll end up doing. I feel like getting day drunk in Manhattan. How fun would that be? (On a very steep side note, I haven't drank in a month and a bit now. Maybe I should break the curve and have a martini tomorrow?)

Oh. Another thing... I know some of you may or may not have been wondering about how I'm dealing with my eating.

Firstly, I have not been maintaing my vegan diet. It's not that it's "difficult" but... I came here to experience every possible thing I can in New York City. I don't think it would be as pleasurable if I kept NYC pizza slices at bay.

I will be hopping right back into my cycle as soon as I come home though.

Secondly, I have been having triggers here and there with my eating disorders. I've been trying really hard to not hit that low. 
When I feel discomfort or that uncertainty with panic that follows, I smile and just think, "I'm on vacation. Give yourself a break, M."

I smile even more when I think of the days when I needed a crowbar to haul me out of the emotional shit-slumps. 
It gets easier with time.

I really do miss my morning routine at home though. Getting up at 6, running, kale/fruit smoothie, black coffee.

I leave you now with pictures of the past two days.

My beautiful, adorable mother.

Corn on Columbus Market.

Gnaw that corn, little one!


THE BEST COOKIE (if you like the extremely rich, crunchy on the outside, doughy in the core, gooey chocolatey goodness cookies) I've ever had. Well worth the trip and the $3.00

Me, proud of my cookie on the left. My sister's confused face on the right. "This cookie's HUGE!"

Only in America.

Stwuh-bewwy Fields.

Central Park.

My favourite newly found nutritional treasure. Purely organic.
Ingredients: Organic agave, sunflower seeds, buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, blueberries, millet, apples, sesame seeds, flax seeds, pecans, almonds cinnamon and sea salt. 

 MoMA pictures:











Lunch at Wicker Park



My hummus dish was appetizing.

Pretzel bread with grainy mustard.

Great salad. I will try to remake this recipe when I get home.

Tasteless, greasy, rich pasta. Blech.

Loving my fresh hummus.

Gagagagagagaa....Guggenheim. (Don't ask where the Gaga's game from)

Dinner at Nick's Pizza. Best Pizza in NYC Hunt Trial 3. 
Not that great. I'd give it 6/10. The pizza was bland with too little cheese and almost bitter tomato base. Meh. Not worth the trek.


We walk, we walk. Everywhere, we walk.

Guggenheim, stop being so masculine and sexy.

Loving this: My day tomorrow with A and my sister. I'm looking forward to it very much.

Not loving this: My skin is a disaster. I wish I brought my skin cream with me because it's breaking out like crazy. My skin is not fairing well with the polluted American air. Boo. The double-team of deep penetrating clinical face cream and daily moisturizer that give you that glow look would be perfect right about now. My skin feels no longer like a baby's bottom, a peach coloured cloud. Instead, it's pleasant as the texture of brail.

Not loving this 2: This room feels like a Russian sauna or something. Even though there isn't a big difference between Russian and Turkish or "insert country here" steam rooms.

Tips: 
- Penn Station has decent washrooms as well (aside from Starbucks)...
- People say that Nick's Pizza place is great (on upper east side 2nd and E. 94th) but it's really not worth the trip. It's bland and just your average saucy pizza. Not what I expected, at all.
- Best place to run in NYC, Park/Lexington/Madison Avenue all the way down to Central Park. Absolutely stunning view. I don't understand why everyone else isn't running around this city.
- Buy comfortable shoes for NYC. We, the subway-phobes, walk EVERYWHERE. We've walked from the tip of uptown to downtown in Manhattan and around and around for 8 hours straight. We personally enjoy the walk but some people may think it is a waste of time. Although I would never wear them as normal attire, I'm suggesting comfortable runners. Or a pair of well supported flats. Whatever works for you. I went with Converse (no support, whatsoever) but hey... Fashion is more important to me. :P




No comments:

Post a Comment