Sunday, August 21, 2011
Improvised Curry; Oh so good!
- 1 tbsp sesame (or coconut, canola or olive) oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp crushed or chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup of chick peas
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 large zucchini, sliced into thin pieces
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 1 tbsp corn starch, mixed with 1 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 (or more, if you prefer) cup of rice, cooked
1. Heat oil in large sauce pan over med heat and cook onion for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add curry paste and garlic and cook for a minute.
3. Add coconut milk, sugar and salt then bring to a boil.
4. Add red pepper and zucchini, cover, then reduce heat to low-med and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add chick peas and let it simmer some more.
6. Add cornstarch paste and stir continuously until the curry thickens, then stir in lemon juice and some basil.
7. Serve on a bed of rice.
That's the general recipe so you can tweak it if you'd like. Use different vegetables, add chicken if you're not vegetarian. Slice up some carrots, top your curry with crushed walnuts. Be creative.
Bon appetit !